Position Summary: Applies and leads systems engineering and acquisition process disciplines for wireless communications systems (voice and data) including development, engineering, testing, and acquisition. Demonstrates deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary commercial and government wireless communications technology. Applies communications systems and RF expertise to plan, develop, and report on RF interference and propagation tests and interference mitigation techniques. Participates in campaign test management processes for engineering, testing, and demonstration of communications technology.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 10 or more years’ experience with systems engineering, technology development or acquisition.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge in planning and executing systems engineering activities with a focus on wireless communications concepts.
- 5 or more years’ experience with wireless voice and data communications technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
- Active Top Secret security clearance required.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 15 or more years’ experience with systems engineering, acquisition processes and program management.
- Master of Science in Electrical, Systems, or related engineering discipline.
- Expert knowledge in communications systems including SATCOM, wireless networking, LTE and similar IP technologies.
- Experience managing, leading or supporting Department of Defense (DoD) research & development projects, such as Joint Capability Technology Demonstrations (JCTD) or similar.
- Strong track record of innovation and creative problem solving.
Primary Work Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Special Work Conditions (travel, security clearances, work hours): Travel up to 25%.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Develop wireless communications system architectures based on client requirements.
- Design conceptual holistic wireless communication system architectures
- Provide technical oversight of system integration efforts to include technical readiness assessments and post-test analysis to influence future testing efforts.
- Participate in test programs, collection of test data, and test evaluations to include establishment of threshold and objective technical performance criteria.
- Recognize and anticipate the impact of environmental factors on wireless communication capabilities
- Develop technical plans and schedules for system engineering tasks.
- Prepare technical reports, documents, plans, and briefings.
- Present analysis, engineering, and designs to customers.
- Identify measurements and performance metrics consistent with operational requirements.
- Work with US Govt program managers and systems engineers to establish a technical baseline and prepare technology readiness estimates for wireless communications systems (voice and data).
- Integration of wireless communication hardware and related components into existing system architectures for use in test demonstrations.
- Perform electromagnetic interference (EMI), electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and RF testing as required.
- Provide technology analysis and review of technical concepts, white papers, and proposal for wireless communications systems.
- Participate in campaign management processes for engineering, testing, and demonstration of communications technology.
- Define and establish system interfaces and draft Interface Control Documents (ICD).
- Develop functional and physical system descriptions.
- Perform analysis of alternatives for proposed communication systems.
- Investigate technology readiness and maturity for operational environments.
- Develop models and simulation tools to facilitate assessment of technologies in a variety of operating environments.
- Draft test plans and negotiate test criteria and schedules with customer(s).