Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Senior Mission Engineer (Part-Time)
Location: Arlington, VA
Position Requisition Number: RQN077
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The primary responsibility of this part-time position will be to perform mission engineering analysis and provide will thought-out conclusions. Communicate complex analytical techniques and results clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical expertise.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Research existing military systems to understand and characterize their technical performance and possible shortfalls and propose solutions to fill any identified gaps.
- Model future military systems at appropriate fidelity using sound analytical judgement to fill in incomplete information.
- Perform trade studies and analyze simulation results to draw meaningful mission engineering – driving conclusions.
- Communicate complex analytical techniques and results clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical expertise.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- BS degree or higher in engineering or a related technical field is required in addition to 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as a strategic, out-of-the-box thinker.
- Strong computer skills and scripting/programming experience is required, MATLAB preferred.
- Ability to independently research new topics of interest.
- Ability to document analysis results, write reports and present findings to audiences at varying technical levels.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interface with technicians, peers, senior-level engineers, business development, management.
- Must have the ability to obtain a DoD Top Secret clearance.
Primary Work Location: Work is to be performed in Arlington, VA; but remote work is possible.
Special Work Conditions: Travel up to 25%.
Security: Must have the ability to obtain a DoD Top Secret clearance.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.