Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Computer Science Intern
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN068
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Computer Science Intern works during the summer months to support a range of development tasks across VT-ARC’s portfolio of analytics and machine learning projects. Example projects include applying algorithms to model and forecast data and enhancing/supporting existing code base, impact analytics, and automation of science analytics tasks.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in computer science only.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
- Attention to detail.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Experience programming in R and Python.
- Experience with version control (Github).
- Experience with data modeling and forecasting.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills desired.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Reports to the Info Sciences and Analytics Division Director.
- Supports analytics development tasks as assigned.
- Supports custom tool development.
- Maintains and develops existing R and Python code.
- Supports innovation and marketing projects as assigned.
- General Administrative support.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: May require work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Must be a US citizen.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.