Position Summary: The Research Analyst will perform thorough research and analyses on open source and customer-provided data to extract meaningful information in support of the customer’s mission goals. Primary responsibilities include collecting, processing, and analyzing technical data, searching and applying information from the primary scientific literature, developing clear visualizations of the data (graphs, tables, etc.), identifying emerging technologies, and composing clear and concise draft technical reports to support U.S. government customers.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the sciences or engineering, though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for research and analysis is encouraged to apply.
- Experience programming in R and Python.
- Experience conducting scientific literature research, compiling results, and drawing conclusions from the corpus of information.
- Experience searching major science and technology magazines, blogs, and other open source periodicals keeping abreast of the emergence and use of new technologies.
- Experience manipulating large datasets such as writing scripts/macros for spreadsheets.
- Experience with data analytics, data science, or machine learning.
- Assist project management and engineering team with the development of test objectives to support test campaign goals and objectives.
- Collect and capture test data, coordinate with other test performers to disseminate test data and prepare it for use by the engineering team to conduct analysis.
- Demonstrable critical and creative thinking abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 2-5 years of post-education experience.
- Experience working in or with the U.S. Department of Defense or other agency responsible for national security.
- Experience conducting or assisting in original scientific research.
- Experience analyzing science, technology, and innovation using scientometrics or intellectual property analytics methodologies.
- Experience organizing or leading small groups in a structured environment (e.g. workshops, seminars, or journal clubs).
- Prior experience working within a fast-paced cross-discipline corporate environment.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial mindset.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Participate in the design, planning and execution of complex research projects to support science and technology analysis and forecasting.
- Conduct comprehensive research on select science and technology topics using openly available data sources.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of emerging technologies across scientific and engineering domains.
- Compile and interpret complex technical content for customers and stakeholders.
- Communicate research findings via draft technical reports using a variety of visualizations.
- Conduct technical reviews of reports and presentation material for structure, accuracy, consistency, and appropriateness of content.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, Virginia. Possible travel to other CONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Must be a US citizen.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.