Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Senior Mission Engineer
Location: Arlington, VA
Position Requisition Number: RQN078
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
Primary responsibility will be to lead mission engineering analysis studies to help drive cutting edge technology developments for our customers from a top-level mission engineering-focused perspective. This will include Identifying or creating tools and frameworks for performing modeling and simulation/analysis of military systems and next-generation technology solutions to assess overall mission impact.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Lead and define mission engineering analysis studies to help drive cutting edge technology developments for our customers from a top-level mission engineering-focused perspective.
- Identify or create tools or frameworks for performing modeling and simulation/analysis of military systems and next-generation technology solutions to assess overall mission impact.
- Research existing military systems to understand and characterize their technical performance and possible shortfalls and propose solutions to fill any identified gaps.
- Model future military systems at appropriate fidelity using sound analytical judgement to fill in incomplete information.
- Perform trade studies and analyze simulation results to draw meaningful mission engineering-driven conclusions.
- Communicate complex analytical techniques and results clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical expertise.
- Prepare and deliver technical briefings and reports to internal audiences, contractor, and government decision makers.
- Lead more junior analysts in defining their work assignments, checking their work for accuracy, and providing guidance and feedback.
- Use internally developed modeling frameworks and commercial/government provided tools.
- Contribute to updating and implementing group vision while upholding and promoting group Core Values.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the different business units and Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required in addition to 10 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as a strategic, out-of-the-box thinker.
- Strong computer skills and scripting/programming experience is required, MATLAB preferred.
- Ability to independently research new topics of interest.
- Ability to document analysis results, write reports and present findings to audiences at varying technical levels.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Primary Work Location: Work is to be performed in Arlington, VA; but remote work is possible.
Special Work Conditions: Travel up to 25%.
Security: Must have the ability to obtain a DoD Top Secret clearance.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.