Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Lead Wireless Communications Systems Engineer
Location: Arlington, VA or Blacksburg, VA
Position Requisition Number: RQN080
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation: The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
Position Summary: The Wireless Communications System Engineer applies and leads systems engineering and system integration process disciplines for wireless communications systems (voice and data) including development, engineering, testing, and acquisition. Demonstrates deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary commercial and government wireless communications technology. Applies communications systems, RF and cellular technology expertise to support the execution of technical program/project deliverables for DoD and commercial clients. Participates in test campaign management processes for engineering, testing, and demonstration of wireless communications technology, to include testbed development.
Duties: The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Develop wireless communications system architectures.
- Participate in test programs, collection of test data, and test evaluations.
- Develop technical plans and schedules for system engineering tasks.
- Prepare technical reports, documents, plans, and briefings.
- Conduct analysis of approaches for employing the use of dynamic spectrum sharing methodologies and the use of cellular/LTE technology in IoT applications
- Identify measurements and performance metrics consistent with operational requirements, to include the establishment of threshold and objective technical performance criteria.
- Work with program managers and systems engineers, both internal and external to VTARC, to establish a technical baseline and prepare technology readiness estimates for wireless communications systems (voice and data).
- Provide technology analysis and review of technical concepts, white papers, and proposal for wireless communications systems.
- Define and establish system interfaces and draft interface control documents (ICD) and system architecture artifacts.
- Develop functional and physical system diagrams and descriptions.
- Monitor wireless communications standards and technology developments and advise VTARC clients.
- Promulgate system engineering standards and development standards to engineers and designers.
- Perform analysis of alternatives for proposed communication systems.
- Develop functional performance specifications sufficient for government acquisition
- Investigate technology readiness and maturity for operational environments.
- Develop models and simulation tools to facilitate assessment of technologies in a variety of operating environments.
- Draft test plans and negotiate test criteria and schedules with program managers and clients.
- Support the expansion of VT-ARC programs/projects in the areas of wireless communication through fostering good working relationships with client or program partners.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 8 or more years’ experience with systems engineering, technology development or acquisition.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge in planning and executing systems engineering activities with a focus on wireless communications concepts.
- 5 or more years’ experience with wireless voice and data communications technologies, particularly an emphasis on cellular LTE technology.
- Experience with cellular managed access systems (MAS) and LTE interdiction capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills to support technical projects
- Excellent writing skills necessary for both collaboration with the engineer team(s) and in structuring, organizing and writing academic level papers for clients
- Proven ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, but within the scope and guidance of senior engineering staff.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 10 – 12+ years of experience with communication & systems engineering
- Master of Science in Electrical, Systems, or related engineering discipline.
- Expert knowledge in communications systems including satcom, wireless networking, LTE and similar IP technologies.
- Experience with testbed development for LTE capability testing and development
- Strong understanding of innovative concepts for employing wireless LTE (4G/5G) in DoD and commercial applications
- Knowledge of 5G capabilities and network design features
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, VA or Blacksburg, VA
Security: SECRET level DoD clearance is highly desired, but not required
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.