Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Facility Security Officer (FSO)
Location: Arlington, VA
Position Requisition Number: RQN087
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
VT-ARC is a 501(c)(3), non-profit R&D organization affiliated with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech or VT). Our mission is to provide superior analytic and technology solutions across multiple domains by leveraging Virginia Tech’s multidisciplinary research and innovation ecosystem. With unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech, VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations.
The Facility Security Officer (FSO) will report to the Vice President of Finance and Administration and have sole responsibility for the development, execution, and enforcement of all corporate-wide security policies, procedures, and programs. Apply expertise to maintain Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community (IC) customer’s accreditation. Work with the administrative team to provide technical expertise and knowledge to upcoming and new contract awards and programs. Manage the various DoD databases to include, the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS), Industrial Security Facilities Database (ISFD), and electronic Facilities Clearance (e-FCL) system.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Process personnel for security clearance investigations.
- Brief all employees on their responsibilities for protecting, handling, transmitting, storing, and destroying national security information.
- Manage the central document control system and information management system.
- Obtain and maintain accreditation of collateral, sensitive compartmented information, and special access program facilities.
- Process visit requests of VT-ARC personnel to other facilities and U.S. Government organizations.
- Develop creative educational products to disseminate to all VT-ARC employees, its consultants, and subcontractors.
- Conduct, not less than, quarterly audits of the VT-ARC access control system and intrusion detection system and notify VT-ARC’s Government sponsor of abnormalities.
- Work closely with the IT team members on establishing System Security Plans for DoD and IC customers.
- Establish and maintain physical security procedures of national security information stored within the VT-ARC facility.
- Develop concepts of operation.
- Develop and maintain Fixed Facility Checklist (FFC) and TEMPEST Addendum to the FFC.
- Perform risk analysis and management based on threat reports and changing criminal trends.
- Maintain various SOPs required by DoD and IC customers’ (e.g. Standard Practice Procedures, Emergency Action Plans, etc.).
- Conduct annual self-inspections of the VT-ARC security program and report all vulnerabilities to DoD and IC customers.
- Create access lists for various U.S. Government meetings held at the VT-ARC facility and provide special security management oversight of these meetings.
- Investigate adverse information reported and make recommendations to Corporate management on disciplinary actions based on the investigation results.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and hold a Top-Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information.
- 5 or more years’ experience with special security management and working with IC Agencies.
- Demonstrated expertise with SOP and concept of operation (CONOP) creation and maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of JPAS/DISS, ISFD, and e-FCL.
- Prior experience working with DoD, or IC Agencies.
- Understanding of the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), the DoD Information Security Program, and the DoD SCI Security Administration Manual.
- Proven analytic skills and the ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- SPeD Certifications (SFPC, ISP, PSC).
- Knowledge of Information Assurance (IA) and Network Security policies, procedures and technology.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, VA
Security: Top-Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information Required.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.